Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Going out on National Fitness Day

Yesterday my wife's parents took us through the mountains to see the leaves changing colors. It was a winding, wildly crowded trip up and over between Shirakawa and Furukawa, but the colors were really wonderful.
Furukawa resembled the other towns in Gifu I had visited, Takayama and Gujo Hachiman. It seemed much small though and a lot less crowded for a national holiday so that made it better than one of the bigger attractions. There were many temples and pretty streets and I got to see the local specialty, candles.
This shop has a nice display of the process and helped me understand the way they make these candles which seem to be mainly used in temples. Though the town is famous for this product I only saw maybe three shops that sold only candles, the rest being typical souvenir establishments. We did get some mitarashi dango and they were delicious!

No comments: